Description

Non-affiliated, Non-lengthy, Non-articles about Transformers

Friday 19 December 2014

Combiner Wars Powerglide



By and large these days, I don't buy new Hasbro Transformers product. Animated, Human Alliance and select parts of TFP/BH aside, I tend to take a wholesale pass on mass released mainstream Transformers from anywhere in the world. Either I haven't seen the shows, or I'm after higher end stuff like Masterpiece. Powerglide above (deliberately mistransformed) is the first figure from the new Combiner Wars offerings that has inspired me to make a purchase.




The packaging is pretty enough, and I'm impressed with the artwork and the inclusion of a collector's card. No chance of him staying in there, I'd seen online images of the figure - one I don't think I even knew was being solicited or made - and knew it was my entry point into the new era of Hasbro TFs.


After releasing him from his binds, plastic securing I'd expect to see holding tags on clothing, I got down to business. Transformation is much more complex than I imagined, yet incredibly simple. It's a perfect transformation for a figure this size. It allows you to enjoy the conversion as something distinct from plane or robot mode, more than just a blink of an eye switch between configurations. It's Powerglide, they weren't going to reinvent the wheel but to have this many moving parts on such a small figure is admirable. The front landing gear I position a little more angled than intended as I found it didn't line up perfectly with the rear wheels. Also, how nice is that card? 



Despite the lack of wrist swivels or ankle tilts (to the sides) - something very far from what any figure this small could be entitled to anyway - he's lovely to pose, and plenty stable. I used the tailfins as stabilisers when he was kneeling and there's plenty of bend in those knees. The gigantic Autobot insignia on his chest is just as it should be, completely obnoxious, every bit the blowhard Powerglide is.

Did someone say blowhard?




No real reason to put these together, they're just two brand new magnificent official Transformers figures that no one should deny themselves. And the blowhard thing. Powerglide has a 3rd mode which acts as a sort of targetmaster weapon for the combiners of the series, but since I'm not sold on any of those thus far, I am ignoring the concept and sticking with why I bought this toy, an articulated and new G1 Powerglide that Astoria could love again, and coneheads could chase.

Maybe the giant holes in his hands imply that he ought to have come packing a weapon, and maybe he has a butt flap that's a little unsightly unless you position it pointing directly backwards, but you cannot fault Powerglide's likeness, accuracy to G1 or robot proportions. It's a beautiful little Transformer and one of the best updates any minibot has gotten while retaining all the original charm and appeal of the concept.


All the best
Maz







4 comments:

  1. nice review man. This guy and Bombshell are probably the only figures from the first wave of combiner wars that I am going to (or have bought). Love that huge Autobot logo on the chest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's perfect, isn't it! I think check this review of Silverbolt out, it's changed my mind about it:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65xF1qX_bto

      All the best
      Maz

      Delete
  2. I just want to hold him and say "And away we go!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. something that you couldn't do with the ultra one lol. I can't wait to get most of the combiner wars stuff, cheap combiners for classics is fine with me, if i get a 500 plus combiner, it better be an mp anymore...or a mib g1 giftset

      Delete