Description

Non-affiliated, Non-lengthy, Non-articles about Transformers

Friday 23 January 2015

Missing the Point? Missed Opportunity?



It's fair to say that my recent TFSource Blog article on the DX9 Invisible "Phantom" version, a translucent blue repaint of the MP-style Mirage, has been one of the least enthusiastically received articles that I can recall since I spent 2000 words comparing G1 copyrights (actually that had 500+ shares on Facebook). On the back of Invisible's seemingly successful launch came the quite attractive (or so I thought) clear deco, just as previous Mirages like Alternators/Binaltech, Classics/Henkei and even Robot Heroes received. For some reason, the feedback on the review for Phantom has been thin on the ground, and when received, not exactly positive.



Here are some of the comments from around the Internet:

"If I wanted to display an invisible Mirage, I'd just take him off the shelf and leave the space vacant". 
 "But...if it's clear....it doesn't have paint. :-P"
"I know this is supposed to be a homage to the Botcon figure. But I never understood why Funpub made it blue in the first place. Shouldn't an "invisible" Mirage have been molded in clear white plastic similar to Ghost Starscream?"
On most forums there are no replies at all to the article/review, so apart from comments about semantics regarding the appearance and the definition of words, I guess people were particularly affected (or not as the case may be) by the colour of the toy being translucent blue instead of totally colourless and clear, and that has actually influenced whether they engage with the article, images and concept at all. Maybe it was released too soon after the regular version and the quality of the product had not yet seeped far enough into the public consciousness? Maybe rumours of MP Mirage and pending MMC Sphinx have affected how likely people are to buy this product, but do blog readers only engage with what they want to buy?


It could be that the review was as dull as dishwater, but I'm pretty certain I've written worse stuff that's been better received. I do get why people wouldn't like the figure, I get it, honestly, but normally when people don't like something, they're moved to complain or express that dissatisfaction, and the opposite is true. Apathy is almost worse than dislike in this case.

Anyway, it was still interesting to see how something I quite liked as a Mirage enthusiast (and I know there are many many more) was received in such a lukewarm fashion, and the review of it even moreso.

Must try harder!

All the best
Maz

 




9 comments:

  1. It´s indeed the blue deco. I read your article, and the problem was not your review per se, but the lacking source material. I read your stuff even when I am not planning to buy the product in question, for the very reason that you make good entertainment out of it. In this case, however, there´s only so much you could have done with it. Even with your talent and enthusiasm it will be hard to catch people´s interest with such a nonsensical product. A valiant effort, though! The blame is on DX9 and not on you. Keep the good work up man! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the feedback, I can understand that the deco and immediate release has had an effect. In fact I'm not sure they ever even circulated packaged images of the thing before it hit retailers. I was just wondering why people were not even using the opportunity to voice their displeasure, it was like nothing about the toy moved people to any sort of reaction!

      Which is weird for the TF fandom.

      All the best
      Maz

      Delete
    2. Maybe it is because for many, this was not something they had had hopes for which turned out to be a disappointment, but rather something they did not feel they had any interest in to start with? A transparent Mirage is itself a narrow product, and a (what many would say) failed transparent Mirage? For most, looking at one photo is probably all the time they want to spend on it. My theory! But I understand it must be frustrating for you given the time you had to spend making that post. I´ve started to appreciate how much work running a blog is recently, with this one: https://tftheoretician.wordpress.com/ If you´ve got the time, check it out! I don´t have the budget to buy and review a whole lot of new toys so I´m trying to do something different. As of yet, like zero readers, so I know that feeling too... Anyways, hope you like it :)

      Delete
    3. That's really very nice work on that blog, extremely clean and actually more content focused than acquisition-based, absolutely the kind of thing I would love to support! If you are on twitter please let me know and whatever you post I can signal boost :)

      All the best
      Maz

      Delete
    4. TF Theoretician, I have added you to my blog-roll list. Welcome to the blogging world! =)

      Delete
    5. Maz, Heroic Decepticon, thanks a lot!!! I have been quite busy during last week but now I´ll make sure to set up a Twitter account and create a blog-roll list with you guys on it, if you´re cool with it! Major inspiration boost! :D

      Sincerely,

      Theoretician

      Delete
  2. I think its a combination of coming so quickly after the initial release, and being an obvious release. More a question of 'well, obviously its a clear blue release that everyone expected, of a toy that almost no-one actually owns yet'. The clear blue also just looks less impressive to me.... The detail gets lost,its not 'real world accurate', it was never like that in the cartoon....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I say above all of those reasons for a lack of interest make sense, was just surprised at the lack of interaction and engagement, negative or otherwise.

      All the best
      Maz

      Delete
  3. I think it may be the fact that this is blue... and a very deep blue at that. In fact, it just looks like a blotch of blue and from the photos, not transparent enough to even see through it.

    You always do amazing Maz, so I think this is the fault of the product and not the reviewer!

    ReplyDelete